Own a Great Down Comforter
Among the many services provided by Oceanside Cleaners, we clean household items such as comforters, sheets, and pillows. Though there are personal preferences at play when you purchase any of these items, we are focusing on some of the key features to consider when purchasing a down comforter. The following five easy-to-remember tips come from an overstock.com article titled, “How to Buy a Good Down Comforter”:
- Pick a Size: When it comes to choosing a good down comforter, you don’t have to stick to the rules of mattress dimensions, as down comforters are sized to fit all types of beds. But if you want a down comforter that does more than sit on top of your mattress or if your partner has a bad habit of grabbing your half of the bedding during sleep, pick a down comforter that’s one size larger than your mattress size.
- Think about Warmth: Select a down comforter according to your desired level of warmth. Down comforters are sold in various weights, from extra light to ultra heavy. These are largely determined by the comforter’s fill power. A lighter down comforter with a fill power of 500 or 550 may be more appropriate if you live in a warm climate that rarely sees a cold snap.
- Pay Attention to Thread Count: Thread counts start in the low 200s, but a good down comforter may have a thread count of 400 or more. Because down comforters generally require a cover to protect them from stains, opting for a high thread count might not make much sense, as thread count is typically equated with the softness of the fabric against your skin. However, the tighter the weave on your down comforter, the less likely small pieces of goose down are to escape between small gaps in the fabric, whether you choose to cover it or not.
- Buy a Baffled Down Comforter: Baffles look like boxes, channels, or other decorative stitching. Slim pieces of vertical fabric inside the comforter’s shell prevent the down from migrating from one side of the comforter to another and maximize the comforter’s overall loft. Baffled comforters are more desirable than sewn-through comforters, which have a similar appearance and simply consist of surface stitching. Sewn-through comforters can be high quality, but they don’t allow the loft to expand to its fullest potential.
- Cover It: Choose an attractive and protective cover for your down comforter. Although it’s possible to wash a down comforter yourself, this entails a great deal of care during the laundering process. Most people prefer to have a down comforter professionally dry cleaned instead. Buying a duvet cover will keep your comforter clean and greatly reduce how often you need to dry clean it.
In short, comforters are an investment that require good care but they last for years. When it comes time to clean your comforter, remember that Oceanside Cleaners provides free pick-up and delivery in our service area. You can’t beat our high-quality service when it comes to caring for your fabulous down comforters and other household items.